Dan had this sweet red beater Toyota 4 Runner, named Brian. We skipped class and went up into the mountains in search of a cave that my brothers had told me about. I seem to recall that we actually did find the cave, but the real adventure was getting there. It was quite the muddy day and it was soooo much fun blowing through all the ginormous puddles in Brian!
| Dan and Sean (a biker we picked up on the way to St. George) near Prophesy Wall |
| This is what we woke up to in the morning at the Prophecy Wall in Veo, Utah...the dry spot is where Dan slept in his bivvy sac :O) |
Dan sort of speared me toward trad climbing, using gear you take with you up the rock, rather than relying on what others have put there before. Dan had some experience and I had even less, mostly tinkering around with my brothers gear when they didn't know about it...oops.
At the time I had money to burn or at least I thought I did, so I started to buy gear in bulk with every paycheck. Soon we had enough gear that we could tackle most of the climbs in our ability. What fun it was.
A super memorable experience with Dan is going down to Moab with him, Chase, and Julz (Dan's wife, girlfriend at the time). It was my first day joining up with them and we were on Potash Rd. The first climb of the day was Bad Mokey Roof, a 5.9 trade route. It looked fun and I watched both Chase and Dan climb it with ease (sort of, it really is quite tricky). Then I had a go.
![]() |
| Dan climbing in Moab on 8 Seconds Over Potash |
![]() |
| Just a little different angle |
Another great time is when Dan and I put up a couple first ascents up Logan Canyon. It was awesome. Dan danced up this super flaky and sparse crack line, to which I was very grateful to be seconding, especially when the bat flew out and tried to eat me.
| This is one of the first ascents we did near Swan Flats in Logan Canyon, super fun route, it was like a Cracker Jack box |


No comments:
Post a Comment